The Great Tugboat Race

Rocket

The Rocket was built in Buffalo, NY. She was used as a fish tug for many years in Lake Erie. In the 1940's she was sold to the Great Lakes Pulp and Paper Company in Thunder Bay, Ontario She was still steam powered until 1943 at which time she was repowered with a Diesel Kahlenburg 200HP engine. She was sold to the Abitibi Pulp and Paper Company in the mid 1950's and worked on Lake Superior. In 1967 Jack Purvis purchased her and used her primarily for diving and pleasure. She gradually became commercial again and was used for towing scows. She was repowered again in 1983 with two 319HP Detroit Diesels and is still in use today. 



Owner: Purvis Marine Ltd
Year Built: 1901
Gross Wt: 40 Tons
Length: 73 Feet
Beam: 16 Feet
Draft: 7 Feet



For More Pictures Click Here!

Website Builder