The Great Tugboat Race

W.J. Ivan Purvis

Built as the "Magpie" in Sorel, QC for the Abitibi Pulp and Paper Company for the purpose of rafting in Lake Superior, she was powered with a 330HP Sulzer Diesel. Due to the cost of operation she was put into mothballs in 1956. She laid idle at the Government Dock until 1966 at which time she was purchased by the Hindman Shipping Company of Owen Sound. She operated out of Owen Sound for six years and was renamed at the time, the "Dana T Bowen" after the Author. She was then purchased in 1972 by Don Lee of Sarnia, and a few weeks later was resold to Purvis Marine Ltd and returned home to Sault Ste Marie, Ontario to again work in this area. In 1976-1977 she was repowered by a 1200HP Cleveland Diesel and generally updated. It was then renamed the WJ Ivan Purvis.



Owner: Purvis Marine Ltd
Year Built: 1938
Gross Wt: 190 Tons
Length: 100 Feet
Beam: 26 Feet
Draft: 10 Feet
Horsepower: 1200

Website Builder